Friday, November 9, 2007

Thing 21: Tools for Locating Podcasts

I explored Podcast.net and Podcastalley.com, both directories of podcasts with huge databases, but in the end found exactly the podcasts that interested me by going the Google route. I subscribed to three podcasts through my Bloglines account: the Diane Rehm show, NPR Books, and NPR Book Tour. I considered subscribing to a podcatcher, such as Juice, Odeo, or FeedDemon, which would then automatically download all my podcast subscriptions to my PC, but I think I'll wait until I have more time to listen to podcasts. (Maybe I'll buy the cable that will connect my MP3 player to my car radio, so I can listen while driving.)

Anyway, while perusing the Merlin podcasting learning link, I came upon the Kankakee Public Library website (Kankakee is in Illinois), which features an excellent FAQ on podcasts as well as a large listing of podcasts from previous library programs in Kankakee, including author events, Teen Poetry Slams, and music programs (Arlo Guthrie visited the library in 2005.)

Howard County Library could harness this technology to broadcast its own podcasts of popular programs, such as Supper at Six, Meet the Author talks, and educational seminars on diverse topics in finance, health, personal growth, and more.

No comments: