Friday, November 9, 2007

Thing 19: Best of Web 2.0

How to choose among so many amazing websites, tools, and applications? First, I looked at some of the blog posts of my Thinging comrades since I was curious to see their top picks. Then I went to the shortlist, right here, to take a peek at the best of the best: the category winner and the two runners up. That helped narrow it down a bit.

During the course of my 23 Things odyssey, I've explored a variety of utilitarian, whimsical, and customizable tools in this Brave New Web. Some of my favorites are: Rollyo for designing your own searches; Del.icio.us for social tagging; and LibraryThing for book information, cataloging and tracking.I also like Craigslist--this is where you can post your lost and found notices (lots of messages about lost keys and cats), look for jobs, search for mates, sale items, housing, and so on, anywhere in the World Wide World. Although I don't use Facebook, my kids tell me it has supplanted IM'ing as their social networking tool. Instead, they post messages on Facebook or text each other on their cell phones. (We've had to seriously upgrade their monthly text message allotments, and now I'm seeing charges for photos sent and received.)

But I digress. I also like Zillow for displaying aerial maps of a house's location on the street, along with its current market value (give or take a buck or 100,000), and YouTube for old rock and blues video clips and music, or to catch a blooper that's buzzing along the webwaves.

Just for the fun of it, I've posted on the sidebar a "widget" from SpringWidgets, a website that won the first runner up prize for widgets. I think of widgets as "web gadgets". [How about "wadgets"?] This one displays the local weather. Thank you, Cotonmom, for blogging about this gidget, I mean, widget.

No comments: